Tuesday 20 September 2011

Introduction to Participation in Occupation 2- Cooking Blog

Hello and welcome to my first blog for Participation in Occupation 2
In this class I have the chance to choose an activity that I will participate in for 2 hours a week, the activity needed to be familiar with me and so the decision was made I would start passionately participating in cooking. My blogging will consist of my weekly experiences and also references to my learning from the week. There are a few practical considerations I have to keep in mind while cooking, the first of which is my time limit. Two hours a week will be easily made up by cooking two dinners a week and I will also be making my own breakfasts and lunches. Cost is a large practicality when cooking; a cheap student budget will be the theme for my weekly cooking. I will be considering the number of people I will be feeding so quantity may be a factor in my activity. By giving thought to the food preferences and allergies of others I hope to cook a meal that everyone can eat and enjoy.  

Why cooking?
My heart and my stomach were my main influences in my decision to start cooking; growing up in a food loving family meant my heart has always belonged to food. Being the youngest I never felt the pressure to learn to cook, however that all changed when I moved into a cold Dunedin flat with five hungry stomachs. The activity of cooking is now not just a necessity, but an opportunity to develop new skills in the kitchen and gain admiration from my flat mates and their stomachs.     

What is its place in occupational therapy?  
Cooking and sharing food was a commonality on all three of my placements, yet I noticed food had different meanings in each setting. In a community context a hot drink and a plate of biscuits was a frequent welcoming into a clients home, the client could express both themselves and their culture through the food and drink provided. Cooking can also be a challenge for some clients occupational therapists work with, and so are used in assessments for functional performance like AMPS as well as a meaningful activity for intervention. Groups run by occupational therapist often have a focus around food whether a specific cooking group or a shared meal to commence a group, the idea of food pulling people together is very much a reality in occupational therapy practice.

Keep reading to hear about my adventures in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment