Monday 24 October 2011

The need for cooking in my life + what it has meant to me over the past 2 months

My need for cooking came from my inability to satisfy my hunger and love for tasty food. I really needed to start learning and challenging my cooking abilities. This year is the first time I have been living away from home and having to cook for myself, being the youngest in my family I was never pressured to cook for the family so this year I was starting from scratch. Getting sick of having the same “chicken tonight” jar each week I needed to start cooking bigger and better things to please my love for food. Over the past 2 months my thoughts about cooking have changed dramatically, I am a lot more confident and try more challenging meals.
I never thought that cooking would be something I enjoyed even though I love the final outcome, now the search for new recipes, the preparation, and especially the sharing of food with my friends and flatmates all excite me. I never knew that cooking would lead to so many other important occupations in life and has given me a stronger connection with those around me and whom I get to share my food with. The topic of cooking allows a common ground and affiliation with others as it is a shared love amongst cultures.

While my need was to learn to cook and gain confidence in the kitchen, I have also realised that it has filled a void which I didn’t know I had before I started seriously cooking. I’m confident in the knowledge that my cooking and love of it will not finish when this class draws to a close; I have been opened up to lifelong learning about cooking and will be ever evolving as a cook.  

No comments:

Post a Comment